Subject: BCA: Storm Update
Date Sent: October 29, 2012
Hurricane Sandy's top winds have increased to 90 mph.
- Please contact your block captain to receive and share information during this event.
- Check on friends, neighbors and family especially our vulnerable population, to ensure they are prepared.
- Have an effective communication plan text messaging can often get around network disruptions when a phone call cannot get through
- Dial 9-1-1 for a life-threatening emergency;
- Call 3-1-1 (240-777-0311 from a cell phone) for questions regarding County Government services, programs and/or issues or go to www.MC311.com for online help.
- Call 301-279-8000 for police-related non-emergency calls.
- Residents should report any power outages directly to their local power company:
PEPCO, call 1-877-737-2662 or go to the PEPCO website http://www.pepco.com/home
The power company assigns crews based on the number of homes reporting power outages, so don’t assume that you need not bother because one of your neighbors has probably called.
- Federal government — Closed Monday. Non-emergency employees will be granted administrative leave; emergency employees will be required to report to work. Employees should telework if possible.
- D.C. government — closed Monday
- Maryland state offices — closed Monday
- Metro rail, buses and MetroAccess — closed Monday
- All MARC train service — canceled Monday.
- Amtrak — Northeast Regional, Acela, Keystone and Shuttle service canceled Monday; service north of New York City suspended at 7 p.m. Sunday.
- Montgomery County Ride On service — closed Monday.
- Airports — many flights canceled coming into and going out of D.C. Check airlines.
- All major U.S. stock and options exchanges will remain closed Monday.
In preparation for the arrival and impact of Hurricane Sandy, Montgomery County has issued the following updates and reminders for residents:
- Montgomery County Public Schools will be closed Monday and Tuesday, October 29 and 30. • All community use activities in public schools are cancelled Monday and Tuesday, as well.
- All Montgomery Recreation scheduled activities are cancelled on Monday, October 29.
- Montgomery County has cancelled its trash and recycling collections on Monday and Tuesday. If conditions have improved by mid week, the Division of Solid Waster Services will institute a "slide" -- Monday customers will be picked up on Wednesday, Tuesday customers, on Thursday, Wednesday customers, on Friday; Thursday customers, on Saturday; and Friday customers on Sunday, with normal service expected to resume on Monday, November 5.
- In an effort to keep County storm drains open, residents are urged not to rake leaves to the curb or into the street.
- Governor Martin J. OMalley has announced that due to the storm, early voting on Monday October 29, has been cancelled. For more information and updates on Early Voting, visit www.777vote.org.
- Current plans call for Ride On to operate a normal schedule on Monday. However, residents are advised that schedules may change depending on the latest conditions
Stay safe. Best wishes,
Ted Garrett, President
Bannockburn Citizens Association