Subject: Bannock Burn Citizens Association: Recent Incidents; December 5 Meeting
Date Sent: November 12, 2013
Neighbors: There are recent burglary incidents that you should be aware of, in case you have not been contacted by one of your neighbors or our Bannockburn Citizens Association block captains.
There were several recent residential robberies in our neighborhood: two near Crail and Broxburn, one on Nevis, and one on Heatherhill Court.
On November 9 there was a break in at a home on Nevis near River Road. The vandals entered by breaking the latch/door frame of the front door and stole TVs, laptop computers, some credit cards and some jewelry. It took place in the middle of the day, between 12.30 and 3.00 pm.
For one of the break-ins on Broxburn, entry was gain through a rear window sometime between 3:00pm and 7:00pm. There was another recent burglary on Heatherhill Court where the break-in appears to be in the evening through an upper level window that was accessible from a lower level roof.
There are also two or three recent incidents where two men in a white van, one wearing an orange vest and falsely claiming to be acting for a contractor, stole copper downspouts from homes. These incidents occurred in broad daylight. The police have the license of the van and have questioned two suspects.
What the police know about these incidents and what we can do to protect our homes will be discussed at our next BCA meeting on Thursday, December 5, 2013, at 7:30 pm at St. Marks. We have asked a County detective to speak to us about these incidents.
In the meantime, as John Hannula, chair of our BCA Neighborhood Security Committee, reminds us, what we can all do is:
- Be vigilant. Reporting ANYTHING out of the ordinary to the MCPD non-emergency number (301-652-9200 - Bethesda station). This includes strange cars, people or other suspicious items. In the case of cars, take a picture of license plates when possible.
- Keep outdoor lights on at all times
- If out of town, keep interior and exterior lights on. Ask a neighbor to pick up mail and newspapers. Tell your neighbors if you're out of town.
- If you have a home security system, arm the system when at home, at night and anytime you leave the house
- Lock cars at all times. Unlocked cars entice thieve.
I hope to see you at our December 5 meeting. Best wishes,